Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Muffins. Easy and tasty enough to keep me from buying a pastry with my coffee.


Whole wheat muffins, ready to go in a little pastry bag (which doubles as a napkin!).

These are from The Tassajara Bread Book.
They're deliciously hot out of the oven in less than 25 minutes.

Whole Wheat Muffins
Makes 12 large muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup oil or melted butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup honey or molasses
1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 400F.
Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Fold the wet and dry ingredients together with as few strokes as possible, just until the flour is moistened, leaving a few lumps. Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake for about 15-18 minutes.

My notes: I like to add 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans. I've added 1/2 cup or so of uncooked rolled oats, too. I make the additions to the dry ingredients, before combining with the wet ingredients.
It's almost like you can't mess up these muffins. Seriously. I don't measure carefully and I make all kinds of random additions, and the always turn out tasting great. And please notice that they only contain 1/4 cup of sweetener (I always use molasses but should try honey at some point) and 1/4 cup of butter.
Simon loves to eat these and so do I. They're great right out of the oven and later on when they're cool. I don't know how they taste the next day because we've never had them around that long.

1 comment: